The course also introduces current hot areas like virtualization, IoT and give an insight into 5G. All topics are presented in a comprehensive – yet easily understandable – way. Essential subsystems, nodes and protocols are described. Basic traffic cases are used to demonstrate the function and architecture of the different systems.
Technical education and/or at least one year of technical telecom experience is recommended.
3GPP Mobile System Overview
- 2G, 3G and 4G – what is it all about and what’s the difference?
- Circuit Switched vs Packet Switched services
GSM (2G) System Overview
- Nodes and architecture of GSM
- Terminals, Radio NW and Core: MS, BTS, BSC, MSC, VLR and HLR
- Basic traffic cases; voice call setup and SMS
- Mobility Management
The GSM Radio Interface
- Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA)
- Time slots, physical and logical channels
- Radio Resource Management
General Principles in Mobile Networks
- Radio Network vs Core Network responsibilities
- User Identities
- Registration / Attach
- Security: authentication, encryption etc.
- Cells, Areas, Mobility principles
- Radio Resource Management
- Control Plane vs User Plane
- IP networking principles
- LAN, MAN, WAN
- Routing, Switching
- The TCP/IP protocol stack
- IP addresses, DHCP, DNS
Data over GPRS (2,5G) and UMTS (3G)
- Nodes and architecture of the Packet Switched Core: SGSN and GGSN
- Attach procedure
- PDP Context Activation
- Tunneling of user data for Mobile Broadband
UMTS (3G) System Overview
- Which are the 3G services?
- Nodes and architecture of UMTS
- UTRAN – the 3G Radio Access Network: Node B and RNC
- High Speed Radio Access – HSPA
Radio Theory Fundamentals
- Frequency spectrum
- How radio waves behave: Path loss, interference, multipath propagation, Shannon’s law
- Radio resource sharing principles
- Radio Network protocols
- What is a “radio channel”?
- Cell planning principles
LTE/EPS (4G) System Overview
- 4G Services – all-IP
- Nodes and Architecture of LTE
- E-UTRAN – the 4G Radio Access Network: eNB
- EPC – the Evolved Packet Core: MME, SGW, PGW, HSS
- QoS – Quality of Service
Voice over IP
- VoIP principles and services
- OTT services vs Operator voice
- SIP – the Session Initiation Protocol
IMS (the IP Multimedia Subsystem) and VoLTE
- What is IMS and why do we need it?
- Nodes and Architecture of IMS
- Basic procedures: Registration and Invitation
- The IMS Profile for VoLTE
NFV and SDN – telecom is becoming IT
- Cloud computing and data centers
- What is virtualization and why is it moving into telecom?
- Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and Software Defined Networking (SDN) in 4G and 5G
IMS – the IP Multimedia Subsystem
- IMS nodes and architecture
- The SIP protocol
Internet of Things (IoT) in 3GPP Mobile Networks
- What is IoT about?
- Why and how are IoT devices different than smartphones?
…and a Quick Look into 5G
- What is new and different in 5G?
- The 5G System Architecture
- 5G Use Cases: eMBB, URLLC and mMTC