A brief terminology introduction is followed by presentation of device-specific communication requirements and possible network issues. The 3GPP mobile IoT solutions are introduced together with a brief descriptions of features added to better cope with increasing number of IoT devices within mobile networks.
General knowledge of the GSM/GPRS/UMTS/HSPA/LTE networks is recommended. The course is not very detailed and technical and therefore suitable mostly for non-technical personnel of different types of companies from mobile telecom industry.
Note: FoldOuts are not used in this training.
- Terminology introduction: what is IoT, M2M, MTC, MIoT
- IoT forecasts: ITU-R forecast on number of device subscriptions and device-generated traffic
- Device requirements for various device types, impact on the networks, required changes and enhancements
- IoT landscape: overview of various local- and wide-area networks for IoT communication
- IoT communication layers: applications, common services, network layers
- 3GPP mobile IoT radio solutions: introduction to LTE-M, NB-IoT and EC-GSM-IoT
- 3GPP mobile IoT solutions in 5G systems
- LTE device categories for LTE-M and NB-IoT
- NB-IoT operation modes
- Short discussion of radio and RAN features for Machine-Type Communication
- Short discussion Core Network features for Machine-Type Communication
- Summary of architecture enhancements for MTC