The GSM/UMTS/EPS System Overview course describes all the currently used “generations” of mobile (cellular) networks standardized by 3GPP. It accounts for the evolution from the voice centric GSM (2G) via the data traffic of GPRS and UMTS (3G) to the all-IP architecture in LTE (4G) and IMS. The course also introduces current hot areas like virtualization, IoT and give an insight into 5G. All topics are presented in a comprehensive – yet easily understandable – way. Essential subsystems, nodes and protocols are described. Basic traffic cases are used to demonstrate the function and architecture of the different systems.
Technical education and/or at least one year of technical telecom experience is recommended.
3GPP Mobile System Overview
• 2G, 3G and 4G – what is it all about and what’s the difference?
• Circuit Switched vs Packet Switched services
GSM (2G) System Overview
• Nodes and architecture of GSM
• Terminals, Radio NW and Core: MS, BTS, BSC, MSC, VLR and HLR
• Basic traffic cases; voice call setup and SMS
• Mobility Management
The GSM Radio Interface
• Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA)
• Time slots, physical and logical channels
• Radio Resource Management
General Principles in Mobile Networks
• Radio Network vs Core Network responsibilities
• User Identities
• Registration / Attach
• Security: authentication, encryption etc.
• Cells, Areas, Mobility principles
• Radio Resource Management
• Control Plane vs User Plane
• IP networking principles
• LAN, MAN, WAN
• Routing, Switching
• The TCP/IP protocol stack
• IP addresses, DHCP, DNS
Data over GPRS (2,5G) and UMTS (3G)
• Nodes and architecture of the Packet Switched Core: SGSN and GGSN
• Attach procedure
• PDP Context Activation
• Tunneling of user data for Mobile Broadband
UMTS (3G) System Overview
• Which are the 3G services?
• Nodes and architecture of UMTS
• UTRAN – the 3G Radio Access Network: Node B and RNC
• High Speed Radio Access – HSPA
Radio Theory Fundamentals
• Frequency spectrum
• How radio waves behave: Path loss, interference, multipath propagation, Shannon’s law
• Radio resource sharing principles
• Radio Network protocols
• What is a “radio channel”?
• Cell planning principles
LTE/EPS (4G) System Overview
• 4G Services – all-IP
• Nodes and Architecture of LTE
• E-UTRAN – the 4G Radio Access Network: eNB
• EPC – the Evolved Packet Core: MME, SGW, PGW, HSS
• QoS – Quality of Service
Voice over IP
• VoIP principles and services
• OTT services vs Operator voice
• SIP – the Session Initiation Protocol
IMS (the IP Multimedia Subsystem) and VoLTE
• What is IMS and why do we need it?
• Nodes and Architecture of IMS
• Basic procedures: Registration and Invitation
• The IMS Profile for VoLTE
NFV and SDN – telecom is becoming IT
• Cloud computing and data centers
• What is virtualization and why is it moving into telecom?
• Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and Software Defined Networking (SDN) in 4G and 5G
IMS – the IP Multimedia Subsystem
• IMS nodes and architecture
• The SIP protocol
Internet of Things (IoT) in 3GPP Mobile Networks
• What is IoT about?
• Why and how are IoT devices different than smartphones?
…and a Quick Look into 5G
• What is new and different in 5G?
• The 5G System Architecture
• 5G Use Cases: eMBB, URLLC and mMTC