This course provides an intensive overview of the various aspects of the mobile communication for the Internet of Things (IoT) and its impact on the 3GPP networks (GSM with GPRS/EDGE, UMTS with HSPA, LTE), focusing mostly on the new radio technologies, like NB-IoT, LTE-M, and also EC-GSM-IoT.
The training starts with a broad overview of IoT-related architectures, applications, network technologies, access methods, connection models, and so on, followed by discussion of issues and challenges for the mobile network operators providing connectivity for IoT applications. The major part of the course is used for description of solutions for machine-type communication introduced in the 3GPP system up to Release 15 (changes in the existing radio access network technologies, description of the new ones, and new core network features, nodes, and interfaces) with an insight into 5G work.
General technical knowledge of the GSM/GPRS/UMTS/HSPA/LTE networks is recommended. For required background knowledge, we strongly recommend Apis’ “GSM/UMTS/EPS System Overview” course and suggest various Apis’ radio and core network signalling courses.
Note: FoldOuts are not used in this training.
Overview and issues
- What is IoT, M2M, MTC?
- IoT landscape: existing and new capillary and wide-area network technologies for licensed and unlicensed spectrum
- Traffic models for cellular IoT
- Overview of UE procedures in CS and PS domains in idle and connected states
- Connection characteristics: usage patterns, data volumes, always connected or on-demand connectivity
- Options for SMS communication
- Air interface issues: congestion on access, control, and data channels
- Core network issues: service availability, resource exhaustion, congestion
MTC enhancements – devices and radio network
- Main triggers for MTC enhancements
- Introduction to LTE-M, NB-IoT, EC-GSM-IoT
- Overview and comparison of new radio technologies
- New UE categories: comparison of parameters
- Extended Access Barring, Delay-tolerant devices, Power Saving Mode, eDRX, and other radio features for machine-type communication optimisations
- MCL comparison for various mobile network technologies
- Overview of LTE radio interface: physical layer and channel architecture
- Uu modifications for LTE-M and NB-IoT
- NB-IoT general characteristics , operation modes
- Low-complexity NB-IoT features for cost reduction
- Frequency bands for LTE-M and NB-IoT
- Overview of EGPRS changes for EC-GSM-IoT, Power Efficient Operation
- User Plane and Control Plane CIoT optimizations
MTC enhancements — core network
- Architecture enhancements: introduction of MTC Interworking Function, Service Capability Exposure Function, Service Capability Server and new interfaces
- Subscription optimisations for device subscriptions
- Optimised core network architecture for CIoT
- SMS enhancements and device triggering with SMS
- Non-IP Data Delivery possibilities and communication scenarios
- Monitoring event configuration and reporting
- Introduction to group communication
V2X, DCN, and 5G
- Introduction to V2X
- Overview of Dedicated Core Networks feature
- DCN selection with and without UE assistance (UE Usage Type and DCN-ID)
- Massive IoT in 5G: network slicing, MICO mode and other planned features