5G NG-RAN Signalling
The course provides a technical description of layer 3 protocols and signalling procedures defined for the 5G radio access (‘New Radio, NR’) and radio access network (‘NGRAN’) as part of 3GPP Release-15 and Release-16. The course also covers the NR layer 2 protocols.
Buy now or contact us about our volume discounts and corporate rates.
*Prices exclude VAT
This course provides a technical description of layer 3 protocols and signalling procedures defined for the 5G radio access (‘New Radio, NR’) and radio access network (‘NGRAN’) as part of 3GPP Release-15 and Release-16.
The course uses a top-down approach starting with a high level description of the functionality of different network entities and the interaction needed between on different interfaces. The layer 3 protocols are then discussed one by one in detail in a logical scenario-based sequence. A number of detailed message-by-message signalling sequences will be presented during the course to tie everything together. The course also covers the NR layer 2 protocols.
Protocols and signalling procedures related to the 5GC-internal Service Based Architecture are mentioned but not covered in any detail.
NOTE: This course is not delivered with the FoldOut methodology.
- 5G System (5GS) network nodes and interfaces
- CP and UP protocol stacks
- 5GS NAS protocols
- NAS states and state transitions
- 5G Mobility Management (5GMM) procedures
- 5GS security architecture
- 5G Session Management (5GSM) procedures
- 5GS QoS framework
- NAS message formats
- RRC procedure summary
- System Information
- RRC states and state transitions
- RRC Connection Establishment
- UE capability handling
- Configuration of SRBs and DRBs
- NR protocol stack and channel architecture
- Service Data Adaptation Protocol (SDAP)
- Packet Data Convergence Protocol (PDCP)
- Radio Link Control protocol (RLC)
- Medium Access Control protocol (MAC)
- Protocol stacks for NG/Xn/F1/E1 interfaces
- NG Application Protocol (NGAP) procedures
- Xn Application Protocol (XnAP) procedures
- F1 Application Protocol (F1AP) procedures
- E1 Application Protocol (E1AP) procedures
- Non Stand-Alone NR (EN-DC)
- A number of important message-by-message signalling flows will be presented during the course.
- Some examples are: 5GS Registration, PDU Session Establishment, Service Request, RNA Update and EN-DC Setup.
Basic knowledge of 5G network architecture and functions is highly recommended but not compulsory. Reasonably good technical knowledge of protocols and signaling within LTE/EPC is beneficial.