IoT in 4G and 5G
This course presents the overview of Machine-Type Communication (MTC) features for the Cellular Internet of Things (CIoT) as specified by 3GPP for 4G and 5G networks.
Buy now or contact us about our volume discounts and corporate rates.
*Prices exclude VAT
It describes enhancements for the radio and core network, new radio technologies like LTE-M and NB-IoT, and other related topics. The focus is on Massive IoT features, but other IoT deployment areas are also briefly described.
This course exists in a shorter version, IoT in 4G and 5G in an Hour.
- Overview of IoT local and wide area radio technologies.
- Introduction to IoT technologies and enhancements in 3GPP networks.
- Short introduction to NB-IoT and LTE-M and communication options via 4G and 5G core networks.
- Brief overview of the 4G and 5G System architecture and basic mobility and data connection establishment procedures.
- Overview of deployment options for 4G and 5G core networks and options for connecting 4G/5G radio to 4G/5G core networks.
- IoT UE related features and issues.
- Communication options for IoT devices: PS data, SMS, data in signalling messages, unstructured/non-IP data via exposure nodes.
- Connection models and patterns for IoT devices.
- 4G and 5G radio: physical layer basics, integration with NB-IoT and LTE-M communication.
- 4G and 5G radio channel architecture and frequency bands.
- NB-IoT operation modes and multi-carrier NB-IoT.
- Overview of UE activities with power consumption focus.
- Control Plane CIoT optimization in 4G and 5G: UE data in signalling messages.
- User Plane CIoT optimization in 4G and 5G: suspension and resuming of the radio connections.
- Description of Power Saving Mode (PSM, 4G) and Mobile Initiated Connections Only (MICO, 5G) mode.
- Extended Discontinuous Reception (eDRX) for 4G and 5G UEs.
- Overview of Wake-Up Signal feature for additional power saving.
- eUICC for IoT devices and UICC suspension mechanism.
- Extended Access Barring and Unified Access Control description for radio access control.
- Coverage Enhancements: overview, levels, modes and related parameters.
- Organization of System Information parameters for various types of UEs.
- Preconfigured Uplink Resources (PUR) operation for NB-IoT and bandwidth-reduced low-complexity UEs.
- Core Network assistance information for optimization of RAN procedures.
- Overview of 3GPP network exposure functions: MTC-IWF, SCEF, NEF.
- HSS/UDM/UDR subscription options for IoT devices.
- Overview of Common API Framework (CAPIF) functions.
- SMS transport options over 4G, 5G, and IMS over 4G or 5G with SMS enhancements for MTC.
- Data transport options in EPC and 5GC for various types of data connections.
- UDP/IP encapsulation for non-IP data.
- Overview of Reliable Data Service.
- Non-IP Data Delivery (NIDD) via EPC and 5GC: connection authorization, connection establishment, MO/MT data transfer.
- Configuration and reporting of monitoring events for common network exposure, 4G and 5G monitoring event types.
- Overview of High-Latency Communication principles.
- Dedicated Core Networks (DÉCOR) for 2G/3G/4G networks, application of UE Usage Type and DCN ID.
- 5G network slicing: overview, identification of slice types and instances, handling of S-NSSAIs and NSSAIs.
- Overview of Selected IoT security issues and challenges.
- UE authorization and authentication options in 4G and 5G networks.
- Details of UE network authentication procedures and key hierarchy in EPC and 5GC, enhancements in 5G.
- Authentication and Key Management for Applications (AKMA) in 5GC for end-to-end security with USIM credentials.
- EAP-TLS based authentication for USIM-less devices in private 5G networks.
- Introduction to oneM2M organization, standards and architecture.
- Roaming issues and considerations for IoT devices.
- Brief introduction to Time Sensitive Communication (TSC) in 5G networks.
- Overview of Vehicle-to-Everything communication in 3GPP networks.
- oneM2M: overview of organization, standards and communication architecture.
- Introduction to 3GPP Non-Terrestrial Networks.
Understanding the technical enhancements for Cellular IoT requires general understanding of 4G and 5G network architecture and procedures. Attending Apis “LTE System Overview” and “5G System Overview” courses will allow the participants to fully benefit from this course.