The course accounts for the various aspects of the 5G System (Access Network, 5G Core), nodes / functions, interfaces / reference points, basic procedures and main architectural ideas. The course explains concepts important to 5G like NFV/SDN and network slicing, and how these are used to make the 5G System more efficient and flexible than earlier generations of 3GPP networks. The ITU 5G Use Cases (eMBB, URLLC and mMTC) are outlined in terms of services and technical aspects.
The course gives an overview of the 5G Radio Access Network including 5G New Radio (NR) and integration with LTE.
General technical knowledge LTE/EPS/4G is required.
• How is 5G described by industry players?
• What is 5G and why? What is new?
• 3GPP standardisation roadmap
• The ITU IMT-2020 5G requirements
• ITU 5G Use Cases – eMBB, URLLC and mMTC)
3GPP 5G System Architecture
• 5G System architecture, functions and concepts
• NG-RAN / 5G Access Network
• 5G Core Network (5GC)
• The new service-based architecture (SBA)
• New 5GC networks functions: AMF, SMF, PCF, AUSF, UDM, UPF, NEF etc.
• Basic traffic cases: registration and session setup
NFV and SDN Background
• What is Cloud computing?
• Hypervisors and virtualization, COTS hardware
• Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) & MANO
• SDN Controllers and Forwarding Nodes
• How NFV and SDN are used in 5G
• PDU Session types and attributes
• Session and Service Continuity
• Splitting and relocating the user plane – why and how?
• Dividing physical resources into logical networks
• Network slicing using NFV and SDN
• Network slice data model – NSSAI, slice instances, slice templates
Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) and Local Area Data Networks (LADN)
• What is Edge Computing and why is it used
• Examples of MEC services
• What is a Local Area Data Network
• Use cases for LADN
NG-RAN Overview and New Radio (NR)
• NG-RAN Architecture, nodes, interfaces, reference points, protocols
• How to get high bit rates, high capacity, low delay
• Frequency bands – mmWave radio
• New Radio (NR) features
• Integration with LTE/E-UTRAN
• C-RAN and D-RAN
• 5G RRC States
5G QoS – Quality of Service
• PDU Sessions and QoS Flows
• 5G QoS parameters
• QoS handling in UE, gNB and UPF
• Why Network Exposure – what can be exposed and to whom
• Monitoring, Provisioning and Policy/Charging capabilities
• Role of Network Exposure Function (NEF)
5G Security Overview
• 3GPP 5G Security Architecture and Security Domains
• 5G-AKA (Authentication and Key Agreement)